Tuesday 27 March 2012

Evaluation - Question 3



What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?


When choosing an institution to distribute my magazine I have to consider the competitors I will face within the institution as they may already distribute magazines of similar genres.


IPC and Bauer Media are known for distributing magazines such as ‘NME’, ‘Q’ and ‘Kerrang’ all of which revolve around the rock genre. Therefore, this would not be a suitable institution for me to distribute my magazine as my music magazine is of a similar genre of indie rock therefore, my magazine will have too much competition. In addition magazines such as ‘NME’ already have a large amount of consumers who buy their magazine; as a result, this will make it increasingly difficult for my magazine to sell amongst such strong and popular magazines. 


As a result I need to choose an institution who does not currently sell music magazines as this will increase the chances of my music magazine being more successful as it is not being overlooked by the other “bigger” names. If not, an institution that does not currently distribute music magazines of my genre of indie/rock as that will make it easier for customers to notice my magazine. 


Overall, I think the most suitable institution to distribute my magazine would be the ‘National Magazine Company’ which is now known as ‘Hearst Corporation’. Hearst Corporation would be ideal as they are already a successful distribution company that distribute 300 magazines worldwide which include ‘Cosmopolitian’ and ‘Esquire’, as a result there is potential that my music magazine can be successful if distributed by them. In addition, Hearst Corporation do not currently distribute music magazines; as a result, my magazine will be the first music magazine that they will distribute which heightens the success of my magazine. As Hearts Corporation have the skills to attract audiences worldwide this could potentially mean that my magazine could be distributed internationally which means that my music magazine will not just be limited to a UK based audience instead it would be targeted at a much wider market. 

No comments:

Post a Comment